I am responding to GallingGalla’s comments. The full comment was dripping with malice and venom. I choose not to publish any comment which is not respectful. Anyone can have a voice here, if they respect me and everyone else. No, this is not censorship. I am under no obligation to publish anything from anyone.
Without further ado…
… you say “Reading through the current state of empirical research, I can no longer deny a strong innate biological component to gender identity”, yet in a previous post, you rail against “brain sex activists”.
Perhaps I am not being clear enough here and here. I read up on the brain science and decided that I had been wrong. The empirical studies of intersexed people strongly indicate a genetic foundation for gender Identity. The evidence I find most compelling is the data on intersex individual rebelling against their assigned genders at a very early age.
So, one more time:
I Was Wrong
I was wrong about brain sex. There is currently a lot of evidence for innately gendered behavior. The pure social constructionist need to investigate and critique the current brain science. Queer theory does not live on an island. In the end I think it does not undermine social constructionists. Social construction is real and verifiable through ethnographic research, but some gendered behaviors and emotional states seem to have a genetic foundation.
The good news for constructionists is that the biology refutes binary thinking.
Here is a summary again:
- Sex and Gender are continuums not binaries
- Gender behavior and identity, in other words the Butch-Femme Continuum, has a strong genetic component
- Gender and Somatic Sex vary independently but are both have a genetic foundation.
- A. E. Brain postulates that most people combine butch and femme (my terms) to some degree. This turns the binary inside out. Now most people are in the Genderqueer, gender fluid center, and few on the stongly butch and strongly femme tails.
- Drantz postulates that most of us combine somatic genders to some extent. There is also a broad bi-sexed middle.
Looking back at my Critiquing Brain Sex post, most of my points were a critique of binary reductionism. These critiques remain standing. Where I have done an about face is the ‘feminine essence narrative’ and ‘woman in a man’s body’. Actually as it turns out, the ‘feminine essence narrative’ may be correct. Some somatic males are born with a femme gender identity, and some somatic females are born with a butch gender identity.
A. E. Brain uses the term cross-gendered for this phenomenon. Notice that cross-gendered is not the same as Transsexual or most definitions of Transgendered. Cross-genderered somatic male would explicitly include cross-dressers and feminine gay or straight men, as well as the third genders which non-western societies created for the cross-gendered