Anne Laurence is a male to female (MTF) transsexual and a self-identified Auto-gynephile. (an erotic interest in the thought or image of oneself as a woman). She builds off of Blanchard’s theories of Male Femininity as a Desire Disorder. The theory has been labeled as “Evil”within LGBT because it sees both male crossdressers and MTFs as the same phenomenon of Becoming-Woman-Desire. In this theory, the difference between a Trans-Lesbian and me, Jasper are a number of life decisions. Notice that having a strong, urgent Becoming-Woman-Desire is not a choice, but choosing to become a transsexual is a choice. The Desire is not a choice, but our ways of manifesting our Becoming-Woman-Desire in the world are. Anno 2010 in San Francisco there are lots of new choices for us to retain male anatomy and participate in Deleuzian voyages of becoming-woman.
- The paraphilia model pathologizes kink and fetish. The new DSM has updated the philias to say that they are only a problem when they are a problem for the patient. The basic typology of objects of desire is not necessarily a problem.
- Blanchard brings desire and kink into the discussion. This does not stigmatize desire it creates a space for discussability. This is a sex positive move.
- Blanchard does not offer an adequate model for the nature or source of Becoming-Woman-Desire. I suggest that Deleuze for a pragmatic, non-dual, Univocal model of desire.
- Because Blanchard is looking for Pathology he excludes gay femmeboys, nancy boys, sissies, twinks, faeries and queens from the concept. I would argue that femmy gay man is a life choice open to androphiles with Becoming-Woman-Desire. Unfortunately, Femme behavior is stigmatized and repressed in the 2010 gay world. Hostility to MTF Transsexuals is widespread and intense in San Francisco’ gayboy scene.
- Blanchard distinguishes androphylic, teenage gender transitioners from middle-aged Autogynephiles. I find this dualism spurious. Androphile crossdressers are often put on a course to manifest Becoming-Woman-Desire. Gay boy culture, for instance, offers many affordances for exploring Femmeboy Self-Expression.
- For in depth discussion from an Autogynephile point of view see Jack Molay’s site crossdreamers.com
- I have a sexual orientation in which I am the desired rather than desirer. I am turned on by a woman’s turn on for me. This is considered normal for a woman and deviant for a man.
- In support of the last point. Charles Moser of San Francisco’s Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality has done fascinating research which show that up to 93% of women in his test group had had Autogynephylic Fantasies.